David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. David Alfonso brings experience from all areas of plastic surgery including cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery, facial cosmetic surgery, body contouring and non-surgical alternatives, including laser technique and dermal fillers. He is a certified national trainer for BOTOX® and JUVÉDERM® and is well versed in the latest procedural advances and state-of-the-art surgical equipment such as VASER® liposuction and CO2 Laser.
Dr. Alfonso graduated from Northeastern Ohio University College of Medicine in 2002. While at medical school, Dr. Alfonso was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society and earned the Douglas M. Evans MD Award for his outstanding clinical work in surgery.
Dr. Alfonso spent five years in the combined surgery/plastic surgery residency program through The Grand Rapids Medical Education and Research Center/Michigan State University. Dr. Alfonso moved to New York City to complete his fellowship at The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. Focusing his study on facial cosmetic surgery, breast surgery, and body contouring, Dr. Alfonso trained under several of the nation’s leading plastic surgeons. Dr. Alfonso and his family returned to Grand Rapids in 2008 to join Plastic Surgery Associates (PSA).
Dr. Alfonso has made professional presentations regionally, nationally, and internationally. He is credentialed to do surgery at Spectrum Health Hospitals and serves as Education Director for the Plastic Surgery Residency Program and Site Director of the Blodgett Campus Plastic Surgery Residency Program.
Dr. Alfonso builds caring, professional relationships with his patients based on communication and sensitivity. He is passionate about his work and his dedication to excellence shows through his consistent results. Dr. Alfonso’s combination of exceptional skill, strategic technique, and warm personality make him an outstanding physician and esteemed member of PSA.
Plastic Surgery Associates physicians are trained specialists with comprehensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive surgical procedures. Committed to delivering the finest care possible to every patient, PSA surgeons have achieved extensive post-graduate training and contribute nationally to cutting-edge research. They also teach current and future surgeons at Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners (GRMEP) Plastic Surgery Residency.
Meet Dr. Alfonso
Click above to learn more about Dr. Alfonso
Credentials and Career Achievements
- Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Member of the Expert Network for Cosmetic Surgery 2015
- National Trainer for Allergan Facial Aesthetics
- Site Director, Spectrum Health Campus for the MSU/Plastic Surgery Residency Program
- 2016 RealSelf 500 List
- RealSelf Top Doctor 2015-2018
- Voted Top Plastic Surgeon 2018 by Top Plastic Surgeon Reviews
- Vitals Top Plastic Surgeon 2014
- Voted as Michigan’s Top 10 Plastic Surgeon Specialists – 2014 by Vitals
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons – 2013 Edition
- Voted 10 Best by American Institute of Plastic Surgeons Client Satisfaction 2015, 2016 and 2018
- Received the Distinguished Doctor Designation© from the Expert Network
- Patients’ Choice Award 2012-2013 rated and awarded by patients
- Received the Douglas M. Evans, MD Award for Outstanding Clinical Work in Surgery
- Author/co-author of many textbook and professional journal articles
- Lectured at international, national and regional conferences
- Inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha, medical honor society
- Voted Most Compassionate Doctor 2011-2013