Marguerite E. Aitken, MD, FACS
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Marguerite Aitken joined the Plastic Surgery Associates staff in 2004. She brings her talents from the art world, having trained at the University of Michigan and worked as a medical illustrator in Chicago for 10 years prior to medical school. She completed medical school at Northwestern University in Chicago and residency in the Grand Rapids/Michigan State University Plastic Surgery program under the guidance of her Plastic Surgery Associates (PSA) colleagues. Following graduation, Dr. Aitken spent six months in highly coveted positions, training in the most current and up-to-date procedures. Her travels took her to Atlanta, Georgia for additional experience in facial cosmetic surgery, to Belgium for complex reconstructive micro surgical techniques and to Charlotte, North Carolina, for body contouring.
The focus of her practice is breast surgery, both reconstructive and cosmetic; body contouring and facial cosmetic surgery. She has been the recipient of awards for her clinical research in the field of body contouring and has spoken internationally on the topics of breast reconstruction and facial aesthetic surgery. Her talents and her passion for this field have enabled her to both author and illustrate multiple textbooks and journals. Dr. Aitken is an eager teacher and also works closely with the medical students and residents in training as a Clinical Instructor for Michigan State University.
We are fortunate that family keeps Dr. Aitken here in Grand Rapids and we expect her warmth, compassion and dedication to the female spirit to be a true asset in the local plastic surgery community.
Plastic Surgery Associates (PSA) physicians are trained specialists with comprehensive experience in cosmetic and reconstructive surgical procedures. Committed to delivering the finest care possible to every patient, PSA surgeons have achieved extensive post-graduate training and contribute nationally to cutting-edge research. They also teach current and future surgeons at the Grand Rapids Medical Education & Research Center for Health Professions (GRMERC) Plastic Surgery Residency.
Meet Dr. Aitken
Click above to learn more about Dr. Aitken
Credentials and Career Achievements
- Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
- Clinical Instructor, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Division of Plastic Surgery
- Chief Resident, Division of Plastic Surgery, Grand Rapids/Michigan State University, 2003-2004
- Voted GRMEP/MSU Plastic Surgery Residency 2016 Teacher of the Year
- Voted 10 Best by American Institute of Plastic Surgeons Client Satisfaction 2015 and 2016
- Patients’ Choice Award 2011 & 2010, rated and awarded by patients
- Named one of Grand Rapids’ most powerful and accomplished women business leaders by Inforum, Michigan’s largest organization for professional women
- Trained and worked as a medical illustrator/art director, 1989-1997
- Author/co-author/illustrator of numerous textbooks and professional journal articles
- Member, Association of Women Surgeons
- Michigan State College of Human Medicine, Division of Plastic Surgery
- John R. Horne Award, Best Clinical Study, MERC Research Day, 2004